Sunday, November 7, 2010

Altered Book: The Cover

My altered book is based on my identity. Each page describes something either about myself or my family. The cover has my family tree on it and my hand print. The tree is split up into the four seasons. Each season represents a different part of my families life. I am in the "spring" part of my life, my siblings are in the "summer" part of their lives, my parents are in the "fall" part of their lives, and my grandparents are in the "winter" part of their lives.

The Process:
To make the cover look the way I did, first I put ink on my hand and "stamped" the cover. Then I made the edges a little darker by going over them with a Q-tip and outlined my hand. I also had my hand come off of the edge so that it would look like I was trying to "open" the book.

Then for the tree, I painted the trunk and glued the pictures on the book. I then took a nail and carved "BNP" on the trunk to make it more personalized. 
 Next, I took a leaf stamp and stamped it on a piece of paper, cut it out, and pasted it onto the cover. I painted the inside of the leaves with either green or autumn colors to represent the different seasons. 

 Then for the flowers and the snowflakes, I took a stamp, stamped the book, then painted it either white for the snowflakes or pink for the flowers.


 Then for my name, I put it on using Rub-on letters. To finish the cover, I mod-podged it so everything would stay put and not end up getting ruined. 




1 comment: